into the blue

Need a turbo broom!!

Name:
Location: Amsterdam, Noord Holland, Netherlands

Just a student who loves to teach

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Lately.....




Flying freight can be pretty hairy.
Had a prop overspeed last week in my Van scud running through the mountains trying to avoid nasty weather. ( and be on time dontcha know! ) Prop started fluctuating from 1500 RPM to well over red line.... I could hear the noise of it..Not Good.... Oil pressure/temps are good, so its not that.
Turned back called Center and OPS and told them I was headed back and what was happening. Pulled the power and the prop back, hoping to at least keep it from the red line. No good, fluctuations continued.
Stay high girlfriend, I thought to myself, you have few options over this terrain. ( MEA is 12000 in that region) 40 knot winds on the surface, you KNOW I was getting my @$$ kicked and I had a huge headwind. Was able to get it back to Cutter at Sky Harbor, and they said the engine had to come off. Well I thought to myself, this is going to go over like a fart in church with the owner of the company. And I was right, it did.
He yelled at me and said all sorts of things, tried to make me recant my statements to Cutter. Stood my ground, I know what I saw....later on the FAA arrived, asking me for a statement and putting a red tag on the plane...
Yet another religious experience......
I am officially sick of ice and crappy weather

2 Comments:

Blogger Cassaundra said...

Amazing isnt it.The company I was working for lost their certificate not once but twice for violations.
Nice..

6:33 PM  
Blogger Cassaundra said...

Hello,
I am Instructing at a large aviation institution now. I am very happy here and feel that My efforts have been rewarded.I miss the flying a bit but now I only fly if I want to, not because someone is screaming at me to go when I know its not safe.
Thanks for the comment!
Happy Landings for you and your boys!!!!!!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home